Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
webguy's picture
webguy
Online
Joined: 12/31/2000 - 22:01
Posts: 10044
Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

Breezy week with falling temperatures: Tuesday and Wednesday look humane. Thursday and Friday for the hardy. Saturday is a possibliity. Stay posted if your schedule allows.

The Corps is dumping water out of Lanier as fast as possible (or faster - risking downstream erosion). Hopefully with a few days of consistent breeze, most junk will be pushed to one side. Lots of small stuff floating about last trip up. The rain Monday will determine if we will break the record high lake level for Lanier. Allatoona is 11 ft over but not close to the record another 10 feet higher. It did recently hit the 6th highest level ever, though.

β€”
0 Like
HamdiD
Online
Joined: 10/08/2018 - 10:32
Posts: 151
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

Moses and I are ready to part the sea (or the lake) or break a leg trying (at this point, leg might be preferred over equipment. πŸ€”).

Just have to make sure Alan gets his on the water first - just won't be right if I get it scratched up before his even hits the water. Alan, let's go already, with or without the scuba gear buddy. Don't let William hear this but patience is over-rated IMO πŸ˜‰).

PS: goes without saying of course that no disrespect intended for any religion; hope nobody offended.

1 Like
webguy
webguy's picture
webguy
Online
Joined: 12/31/2000 - 22:01
Posts: 10044
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards
HamdiD wrote:

Moses and I are ready to part the sea (or the lake) or break a leg trying (at this point, leg might be preferred over equipment. πŸ€”).

Just have to make sure Alan gets his on the water first - just won't be right if I get it scratched up before his even hits the water. Alan, let's go already, with or without the scuba gear buddy. Don't let William hear this but patience is over-rated IMO πŸ˜‰).

PS: goes without saying of course that no disrespect intended for any religion; hope nobody offended.

No offence taken. Excited about your new purchase. Third Moses in the neighborhood.

1 Like
HamdiD
moredownhaul
Offline
Joined: 05/10/2007 - 07:28
Posts: 879
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards
HamdiD wrote:

Moses and I are ready to part the sea (or the lake) or break a leg trying (at this point, leg might be preferred over equipment. πŸ€”).

Just have to make sure Alan gets his on the water first - just won't be right if I get it scratched up before his even hits the water. Alan, let's go already, with or without the scuba gear buddy. Don't let William hear this but patience is over-rated IMO πŸ˜‰).

PS: goes without saying of course that no disrespect intended for any religion; hope nobody offended.

Hey congratulations on your new foil.

Don’t wait on me buddy but hopefully I’ll get to use mine Tuesday or Wednesday.

1 Like
HamdiD
webguy's picture
webguy
Online
Joined: 12/31/2000 - 22:01
Posts: 10044
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

I'm still keeping an eye on tomorrow. It's an optimistic view of the forecast but I need to get on the water and practice.

0 Like
Randy's picture
Randy
Online
Joined: 05/05/2002 - 10:38
Posts: 3736
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

SO where would you go now that all the usual places are "Officially" closed? Go anyway and rely on the Windsport exemption?

Or just launch from Gene's driveway?

β€”

What happens in a black hole stays in a black hole.

0 Like
webguy's picture
webguy
Online
Joined: 12/31/2000 - 22:01
Posts: 10044
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

Corps still says just "ramp and beach" at Van Pugh. No mention of park. I'm going with their strict wordage. If the park isn't entirely shut off, I should be good. Otherwise, I'll know I'll be driving to West Point or Hartwell a few times this week.

https://www.facebook.com/LakeSidneyLanierUSACE/posts/2597417923704329

0 Like
Randy's picture
Randy
Online
Joined: 05/05/2002 - 10:38
Posts: 3736
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards
webguy wrote:

Corps still says just "ramp and beach" at Van Pugh. No mention of park. I'm going with their strict wordage. If the park isn't entirely shut off, I should be good. Otherwise, I'll know I'll be driving to West Point or Hartwell a few times this week.

https://www.facebook.com/LakeSidneyLanierUSACE/posts/2597417923704329

I think you are right - they have some places that are "ramp and park" or "beach and park", etc, so I think they did choose their words carefully. By that logic only the beach at Old Fed is closed, though the map shows the boat ramp closed too.

Of course, the sign Gene photographed didn't parse worlds that carefully. Bottom line - I think it is open until you are asked to leave.

β€”

What happens in a black hole stays in a black hole.

0 Like
bpw's picture
bpw
Offline
Joined: 12/23/2003 - 23:07
Posts: 2587
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

Wed. looks promising for sailing at Van Pugh. Gene, if you get a chance to swing by, let us know if we can launch there.

β€”

Barrett

0 Like
webguy's picture
webguy
Online
Joined: 12/31/2000 - 22:01
Posts: 10044
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

Yuck. Cold water, warm moist air. What could happen?

Dome effect with fog. Screen cap from LLSC webcam. Few reports in the region are even halfway encouraging. To quote Little Orphan Annie: Tomorrow.

0 Like
moredownhaul
Offline
Joined: 05/10/2007 - 07:28
Posts: 879
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

I was at VP last week. They had a closed sign at the front but The Ranger rode through and didn't tell me to leave.
I'm going to head up around 11am.

0 Like
HamdiD
Online
Joined: 10/08/2018 - 10:32
Posts: 151
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards
bpw wrote:

Wed. looks promising for sailing at Van Pugh. Gene, if you get a chance to swing by, let us know if we can launch there.

Hey Gene, if you happen to go out to check out VP, wondering if you would by any chance swing by OF and see how that looks? VP is over my head (figuratively speaking but maybe also literally in this case) on a normal lake level, not gonna try it under these conditions (maybe when I grow up one day 😁). If not, no worries- I might test it anyways or sit out until a later date. Maybe 'patience' thing is starting to work on me (a little)? 😁
0 Like
webguy's picture
webguy
Online
Joined: 12/31/2000 - 22:01
Posts: 10044
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards
moredownhaul wrote:

...The Ranger rode through....

Glad he was able to find work after he left the series. Biggrin

0 Like
moredownhaul
Offline
Joined: 05/10/2007 - 07:28
Posts: 879
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards
HamdiD wrote:
bpw wrote:

Wed. looks promising for sailing at Van Pugh. Gene, if you get a chance to swing by, let us know if we can launch there.

Hey Gene, if you happen to go out to check out VP, wondering if you would by any chance swing by OF and see how that looks? VP is over my head (figuratively speaking but maybe also literally in this case) on a normal lake level, not gonna try it under these conditions (maybe when I grow up one day 😁). If not, no worries- I might test it anyways or sit out until a later date. Maybe 'patience' thing is starting to work on me (a little)? 😁

I believe Gene is working a few hours in the AM then heading up later. If I go by the Marina first i'll swing by old fed and text you a status.
I don't think it's going to be that wild at Van Pugh tomorrow though, definitely less places at Van Pugh to scratch that new foil.

1 Like
HamdiD
moredownhaul
Offline
Joined: 05/10/2007 - 07:28
Posts: 879
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards
webguy wrote:
moredownhaul wrote:

...The Ranger rode through....

Glad he was able to find work after he left the series. Biggrin

Yeah we practiced our quick draw's while he was there.

2 Like
HamdiD
webguy
arrogantj's picture
arrogantj
Offline
Joined: 01/24/2012 - 14:11
Posts: 945
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards
moredownhaul wrote:
webguy wrote:
moredownhaul wrote:

...The Ranger rode through....

Glad he was able to find work after he left the series. Biggrin

Yeah we practiced our quick draw's while he was there.

Was this guy there, too?

β€”

--- The Arrogant Jerk: Crabby and irritable since 1998.

0 Like
moredownhaul
Offline
Joined: 05/10/2007 - 07:28
Posts: 879
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

McGraw is one of my idols.

0 Like
Spanishalex's picture
Spanishalex
Offline
Joined: 10/04/2016 - 23:07
Posts: 14
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

Peeps - Core of Engineers Facebook page says Old Federal is still closed. Did anyone end up swinging by Tuesday? Or is Super Gene going Wednesday morning?

Bests,

Alex

0 Like
webguy's picture
webguy
Online
Joined: 12/31/2000 - 22:01
Posts: 10044
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards
Spanishalex wrote:

Peeps - Core of Engineers Facebook page says Old Federal is still closed. Did anyone end up swinging by Tuesday? Or is Super Gene going Wednesday morning?

Bests,

Alex

I don't know of anyone who went up today. There was the promise of light SW breeze but pfffttt - like any of us were surprised. Maybe we can get Gene, Langdon or Alan to swing by if they are in the area? It'll be interesting to see how much of the grass is above water at Old Fed. Shok

If OF is closed, I can't think of a Plan B locally other than going down to West Point. Randy, you're clever about these things. Any other ideas?

0 Like
Randy's picture
Randy
Online
Joined: 05/05/2002 - 10:38
Posts: 3736
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

I don't know any other place for kites when the wind is due west when the water is this high. (I used to launch my kite boat from Galts on W, but that requires low water.) The current COE list shows "Old Federal Day Use Ramp and Beach" closed but not the park, so its like VP*, where apparently they don't mind if you windsurf but you just don't know. So I'd say - just go and hope for the best. The map also does not show Old Fed as being closed. If the park is locked down, I guess it's no worse than getting skunked.....

*BTW - now VP only lists the beach as closed.

β€”

What happens in a black hole stays in a black hole.

0 Like
FoilDodo's picture
FoilDodo
Offline
Joined: 03/19/2008 - 23:50
Posts: 1993
Re: Breezy week ahead Tues 2/25 onwards

I have a meeting at the sailing club this afternoon. You’re welcome to come there. Probably no beach but still launchable. 0152 I think is current.

0 Like

Pages